Sunday 27 January 2013

Review Structure

Any self-righteous blog that reviews games need to have a post where they go in detail about how they actually review games, right? Well, this is where I explain how I review games. My reviews are divided into the following sections:

Name of the Game: If you don't know what this part is for, this blog might not be for you.

"The Meat": This section is not literally about meat. Do I need to spell it out for you? Good lord, it's the meat of the review, it's a common phrase: I shouldn't need to explain this. This is the section where my incoherent ramblings can be found with a nice mixture of objective and subjective analysis and where I expound at length about the philosophical importance of doubling down in Caylus after someone moved back the provost in order that, as well as your actions, HIS actions are also excluded. Yes, i'm spiteful like that. Hopefully this section also incorporates actual analysis of how the rules affect the game at a level above mere explanations followed by 'I like this mechanism!'.

Conclusion (Optional): Who needs conclusions anyway? Is it really necessary for me to summarize my findings here so that you, the reader, instead of eating from the fruits of wisdom that I have given in the rest of the review can have a Cliff's Notes version of the review that accommodates your fast, active, busy lifestyle (and let's be clear, you play board games, there's nothing fast or active about them and you certainly aren't busy if you can afford to spend 4 hours shuffling wooden/plastic blocks around a board).

Scoring: This is where I score things out of 5 Angry Scowling King Philips. Why? I mean, just look at him in the background. Wouldn't you want to score things out of King Philips after seeing his cross-armed look of utter disgust? I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment